Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"Basic Black" by Cathie Black, Review

On a visit to my local library I ran across ‘Basic Black’ by Cathie Black. Somewhere I think I had heard good things about this book. I thought it would be a manual on how to get ahead at work. I thought it would give advice and information about tactics to do well in a career. It did do that, a bit. However, this was more an autobiography than a business manual. That’s fine by me, because I enjoy learning how individuals get to where they get. It was a nice ride Ms. Black took me on as she described how she went from a glorified secretary to CEO. Along the way, she does offer tips. She is careful to note that what will work for any individual might be different than what worked for her. The only quibble I have with the book is when she says things like ‘read on’ or ‘that story later’. I hated the tease. There must be a better way to transition to the next lesson than this. Finally, I must applaud the voice actress that read the book. She has an excellent voice and used it well to convey the depth of the story and I enjoyed the story and experienced it better for it. All in all, I am happy I stumbled onto this audio book.

No comments:

Post a Comment