Friday, May 18, 2012

Be Quite, Not Right.

When people say stuff I disagree with, my natural instinct is to voice objections and lists arguments for a different perspective. Too often, that is not what they want to hear. They are simply letting off steam or recounting a story because it feels good to share and be heard. I must remember that and keep my mouth shut. However, I must also not give the impression I agree. How do I do this? Growing up, it was natural to put up an argument about anything I disagreed with. My parents loved me for it. At least they didn't complain. In fact, it was fun to debate an issue with my folks. I think they thought I was clever and independent for it. I understand that my friends and peers don't see it this way. Now, how do I get out of the habit of disagreeing. Maybe I just need to say nothing, or find something to agree with, or move the conversation to another topic. I don't know, but I must do something. It makes interactions contentious and I see their heart rate go up as they get defensive. Really I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm simply disagreeing with you and telling you why. What, you didn't come to me for that. Oh well. Must think before I speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment